The Cuatro Islands

 

 We went snorkeling with the other couples in the cuatro islands, Apid, Digyo, Himokilan and Mahaba. We went to Himokitan first, walking along the beach and wading in the water. This was the largest and most populated island. We saw lots of starfish and sea stars. Jack and I walked out to the statues in the harbor that protected the island. One was a Catholic priest blessing the island. The other was a humble man with a duck next to him. No idea who he was. Next we went to Mahaba Island. This had a small village on it with lots of fishing boats. We did some snorkling there. There was a huge drop off near the island. The water was really warm with bursts of cold and super clear. We looked at all kinds of fish, coral, anemones, etc. After snorkeling there for a while, we sailed to Apid Island. This island only had a few homes on it but a super long beach. Here we snorkeled near the boat. I found a sand dollar. It was pretty small, more like a sand dime. There is lots of coral here and the beach is made up of broken coral in many parts.. Our last stop was Digyo Island. This one probably didn't have anyone living on it, except maybe a keeper. You could walk around the island in 10 minutes or just look across it. It was sandy beaches with lots of picnic shelters. It is famous for its sand bars that run from the north and south of the island. We were able to walk out into the water quite a distance. Jack went snorkeling some more but the rest of us went ashore. We had freshly grilled fish and rice there. We walked along the sandy shore looking for more shells. We found a huge pile of conch shells. I like finding the shells then leaving them there for someone else to have the joy of finding it. Jack and I forgot to bring sun screen and I was starting to feel it. I thought I had a pretty good base tan, and I did, except for the back of my legs. It was a beautiful day to be on the water. The water was amazingly refreshing. It was sunny where we were, but we could see the rain clouds moving along the mainland.




Apid Island

Himokitan Island

                                                    Mahaba island snorkeling
On the sandbar at Digyo Island


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fjordlands

Noumea, New Caledonia

Auckland Temple