I Shall Return

 Jack has been taking morning bike rides while I sleep in. He often rides down to McArthur Park in Palo. It has lifesize statues of McArthur and some of his men returning to the Philippines to help them gain their freedom in World War II. He had been driven from the islands in 1942 by Japanese forces. McArthur was only gone two gloomy years. However, during his absence the Bataan Death March occurred in the Philippines.. His famous saying is "I shall return" and he did. I've seen the statue in Palo where he landed.


This is Jack behind the statues with the commemoration of the 80 years since the event on Oct 20, 1944.

I find it interesting that we don't put as much emphasis on the Savior who also said "I shall return." Maybe because it has been several centuries now and most people have forgotten him. The parallels are interesting to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fjordlands

Noumea, New Caledonia

Auckland Temple