the Hold Up

 There are lots of kids and adults around Tacloban that beg. It is actually illegal and against the law to give them money. That doesn't stop them, though.

We'll be walking down the street and kids will come up to us with their hands out and say "give me money" or "give me food". It feels like you are being held up by a bank robber. If their English isn't good enough, they'll mime it for you. If you try to ignore them, they stare at you. It can be quite uncomfortable.

I have taken to shaking their hands that they thrust at you. "Nice to meet you". It throws them for a bit. However, some of the kids will get a big smile on their face which feels like a win. I've also learned how to say in Waray that I don't have anything.[waray na]

It's  not just the street people, though. Some members will come up to you and ask for money. The only members who have visited our home have all come to ask for money. Being American, we are seen as rich, and I guess we are. We can afford to not work and live in the Philippines.

On the other side of the coin, there are many people who try to help out. We see kids directing you to park for a few coins. Lots of kids sell things like brooms, cleaning clothes, etc. Those I am much more likely to help.

A picture of two women begging. Elder Johnson gave them some money so a third lady came over and stared at him until he gave her something too. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fjordlands

Noumea, New Caledonia

Auckland Temple