The Cost of being American
There is definitely a cost to being American in a third world country. We find that things double in price when we ask about something. Let me give you a few examples:
Our taxi ride for Jack and I from the airport to the Cebu Temple- 675 pesos.
Our taxi ride for Jack, me and two Filipina sisters from the Cebu Temple to the airport- 330 pesos.
We went over the same roads both ways.
A trike ride that should be 80 pesos usually costs us 150 pesos. I was so shocked when I got a ride from a trike owner who charged us the correct rate. It brought tears to my eyes to see such integrity in a country that feels if you have it, they can take it.
This is a petty cab. He is able to bike with one hand and carry an umbrella with another. A petty cab {a bicycle with a side cart for passengers} ride that usually costs about 20 pesos cost me 50 pesos.
When I talk to missionaries about it, they just nod their heads. This is business as usual. There are laws that say you have to charge the current rate to everyone, but.... That is one reason I prefer jeepneys. Those are always honest because the other passengers would speak up.
I see similar things with medical, although I can't always prove it. I get charged more for many things. While I admit that things cost less here, the dishonesty wears on me.

Comments
Post a Comment