Fakarava, French Polynesia

 We stopped today at a little atoll. It was about 26 miles long and 13 miles wide. However, I couldn't see how they got their calculations as a non-marine could cross the island in an hour. A marine could do it in about 3 strides.


The pyramid looking structure on the left is actually a lighthouse.


There were only 800 residents on the island. We walked down the road a bit to the beach to snorkel. As we put our stuff down, I looked across the street and saw this:


On closer inspection, you saw that the chapel was open to the breeze.

I actually walked across the island. It took me just over 5 minutes. On the other side, the water was very different. On the side the boat was on, it was a protected harbor with very gentle waves. The other side has coral reefs but the waves are much more relentless. I didn't dare step in more than a foot. IF it had been lava rocks, we could have had blow holes like a previous island. You can see the waves crashing on the outer reef.


And the sun sets on our time in French Polynesia




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fjordlands

Noumea, New Caledonia

Auckland Temple